2018 AWARD Fellowship call for applications
AWARD Pan-African Fellowship
The AWARD Fellowship is a career development program initiated in
2008, to strengthen and sharpen the research and leadership skills of African women in agricultural science, empowering them to contribute more effectively to accelerating agricultural gains in Africa. AWARD Fellows benefit from a two-year fellowship focused on fostering mentoring partnerships, building science skills, and developing leadership capacity. Following a highly competitive process, the fellowship is awarded based on intellectual merit, leadership capacity and the potential impact of the scientist’s research to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers.
The AWARD Pan-African Fellowship takes a similar approach to career development by extending the benefits of the fellowship to female scientists from francophone Africa to maximize interactions between English and French speaking women in agricultural science. The call for applications for the second round of the AWARD Pan-African Fellowship, which will commence in February 2019, is now open.
Candidates for the fellowship must:
- Be aged 40 and below at the time of application
- Be a citizen of Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African
Republic, Chad, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo,
Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania,
Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, and Togo
- Have attained a minimum education level of a bachelor’s degree
- Reside in Africa and doing research in agricultural related fields including but not limited to agricultural economics, agricultural engineering, agronomy, food science and nutrition, extension education, ecology; molecular biology, plant/animal breeding, crop science, animal and livestock sciences, entomology, natural resource management; virology; soil science; aquatic resources/fisheries, forestry and agroforestry, biodiversity conservation, horticulture; water/irrigation management
- NOT be a previous fellow/mentor in the AWARD Fellowship Initiative
- Particular attention will be accorded to applicants working on sustainable agricultural value chains; sustainable food system; agro-ecology and resilient seed systems
AWARD Fellow and mentor, Professor Sheila Okoth (standing), senior lecturer at the University of Nairobi, and AWARD Fellow Susan Kabacia Mwai , research assistant at the National Museums of Kenya.
General Guidelines for Application
- The application period for the 2019 AWARD Pan-African Fellowship Program begins on September 05, 2018 and closes October 08, 2018, 23:59 East Africa Time (EAT)
- Only applicants whose applications are complete will be considered. Please note, each section of the application part should be accurately completed
- Applications and information submitted through email or any other means will not be considered
- Only one application is allowed per applicant
- The application form must be submitted no later than October 08, 2018
How to apply: Find the application form here and for answers to frequently asked questions, please visit: FAQ page